Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Getting there....

…….. sort of. 

The tree's up (thanks to the efforts of the Boy here who could be heard muttering that he lived in The House of Scrooge) and various other decorations are in their Christmas places.  The outside tree lights are still in their bag as the mister, tough Northerner that he is,  is refusing to climb a ladder in the current icy and snowy conditions. I have said that I think that's taking health and safety a step too far but, as we don't live in a bungalow and as I'm not good at manoeuvring wheelchairs, it's probably best to err on the side of caution.

003The photograph is of my most treasured tree decoration. My mum asked me to choose one from a display in a huge sleigh in our local department store when we were out shopping the Christmas I was four.  And no, I'm not telling you how old it is.

The cake (I'm still not confident it's cooked in the middle though that wouldn't be too much of a problem as I'm the only one who eats it) has been iced, though with a shovel by the looks of it.   It weighs an absolute ton, too. (Is it supposed to be that heavy, I ask myself?).

Presents have been wrapped (still a few to do, still a couple of online orders to be delivered) but not particularly attractively.  Usually I enjoy this job but I seem to have chosen wrapping paper that is resistant to sellotape.  And when you look at what I've wrapped, it's obvious I've had a bit of a problem. I have to keep adding more bits of sellotape as the parcels unwrap themselves.  I must have bought very expensive presents this year as I've spent a fortune but there doesn't seem to be that much to show for it.  (I know, I know, it's the thought that counts.  But I'm thinking that the pile of empty boxes and carrier bags I've been left with seems so much higher than the pile of presents).

Food shopping will be done tonight.  We prefer the supermarket after the daytime throngs have left but that means we run the risk of the shelves being empty.  As long as we manage to get ample supplies of those tubs of Twiglets, I'm not too worried.   (But why don't supermarkets keep restocking throughout opening hours?  My dad had a general store and off licence and always took the view that empty spaces don't sell).

That just leaves cleaning and tidying most of the house and preparing the food for our Christmas feasting.  Oh yes, and I'm hoping that That Special Christmas Feeling will kick in soon.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment