I love words.
I'm sure you'd never know it, judging by my increasingly limited vocabulary, but it's true.
I love words and none more so than collective nouns.
I was introduced to these way way back when I was in junior school and we suddenly were given homework. General knowledge stuff. (I've since realised that this was in the lead-up to the 11+ exams. Mrs Whitehouse's strategy must have worked as a record number of girls in our school passed that year.)
One of the tasks we had to complete was finding out collective nouns. Google hadn't been invented then and in the absence of a decent encyclopedia (my parents had bought me a set, which came with a bonus book shelf, from a travelling salesman but they turned out to be absolutely useless) I had to rely on my dad, catching him in between serving customers in the shop we lived behind, and my brother for the answers. (My mother didn't join in. Homework was given out on a Wednesday, the night she went to bingo.)
No comments:
Post a Comment