Saturday, April 23, 2016

This and that

Book

You know you're enjoying a book when the highlighter pen comes out.  I read far more novels than non fiction but this one jumped out at me (and it's endorsed by Pollyanna herself, Hayley Mills).

A lot of the content seems to be the usual stuff promoted widely for keeping healthy – regular exercise, a balanced diet, keeping hydrated, getting sufficient sleep, avoiding refined sugar etc –  but I've already taken some of the advice on board, like drinking a mug of hot water with a slice of lemon on waking (though you can't beat that first cup of coffee of the day) and I've increased the range of supplements I'm taking (that noise?  It's me, rattling).   Whilst no medical expert, I would have to say I disagree with the assertion that veganism is 'more suited to people who have a smaller bone and muscle structure (such as Asians)' and, even though I'm not in possession of either, won't be changing my dietary preferences.  

Book2

Actually, there have been two books on the go of late, not something I manage very often as it takes all my concentration to keep up with one plot or argument.  This turned out to be Margaret Forster's final novel, the story of Tara, recently released from prison and attempting to restart her life with a new identity and a changed personality in Cumbria.  It's a slenderish book, with a slow burner of a plot, and probably not the author's best work (I've written previously about The Bride of Lowther Fell which is one of my favourite books of all time) but it's an absorbing read and one I would definitely recommend.

Beach

The weather changed rather dramatically last week and one afternoon we followed the sun to the beach.  

Boat

The world and his wife were there but the tide was out and there was plenty of space for everyone to do whatever it was they were there to do.

Boo2

Boo chased his ball and I tripped over my feet.

Brian

No idea who Brian is but apparently he's a pedant.  

Pier

The better weather also prompted a wander and stocktake in the Garden of Perpetual Autumn here (I kid you not, whatever the season, it's covered in leaves and  twigs).  Despite a fair amount of backbreaking digging out (of well past their prime shrubs in the border at the bottom of our little plot) and copious planting (clearly a waste of money as most of the plants haven't survived) last year, there are far too many gaps.  Back to the drawing board.

Mag

Meanwhile, in a kitchen in another part of the country, someone was stuffing his face with freshly baked broccoli and cheese muffins.

Muffins

Next week's lesson:  table manners.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment